Monday, March 29, 2010

Week-End Plans Blown to Pot

For weeks I had been planning a night getaway with Shawn to Chateau Avalon, even re-booking when snow hit. We stayed in the Castaway Isle room which was like sleeping in a tree house with a bubbling pond down below - very cool. Treated him to dinner at Cheeseburger in Paradise (in keeping with the theme) and covered the cost of the room. He paid for nothing, we reconnected (in a much needed way!) and headed home Sunday morning happy. We then went to Jayden's birthday party - I even drove a ridiculous truck out there so he could nap on the way. And I had no issues with him heading out to poker that evening.

Then he blew it. He came home drunk.... again. And he decided it would be fun to throw Mo Sockie on top of a very sick Cujo Kitten. Cujo ended up throwing up and has been throwing up ever since. And when I yelled at him to leave her alone, she was sick, his drunken response was, 'good, maybe she'll die.' All the planning, the romance, the cost of the week-end gone in one fell swoop.

I've come to a decision I will share with him some time this week. If his drinking is as bad in ten years, I am leaving the marriage. He has ten years to get some help - I have ten years to get prepared to be on my own. I lived with alcoholics during my childhood, I live with an alcoholic during my working years - by God if I will live with an alcoholic during my end years. I'll have enough issues and won't need to have to continue to deal with this one. Ten years and I will divorce him. I deserve at least a part of my life alcoholic-free.

No comments: