Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Around Round

We had a nasty surprise at work today - another round of layoffs. I don't know the exact number of folks losing their jobs, but Correspondence lost three - two writers and a processor. They were 'scheduled' for their 1x1's today and walked out unemployed. Some of the names I've heard are shocking and almost all of them had long tenures - 15 years, 20 years. They 'trimmed' the department by letting those with the highest paychecks go. I'm about $1,500 away from maxing out in my position so in another three years or so, my name will probably appear on the list. This was shocking and is hard to swallow. The department is NOT overstaffed; they are cutting down so they can give back to Corporate or to the Stowers Institute. They've gone from trimming to greedy. And now there will be even more work expectations on those of us left. We have to pick up the slack of two writers AND we're suppose to begin processing in a month or so.

Sometimes I think I should just find another job, even if it's lower pay and requires office attendance and get the suspense over with. I will again focus on paying off my debt so we could actually make it on a smaller paycheck.

No comments: